You already celebrate the big things, such as the day you became official or the day you moved in together. But the truth is, there are tons of tiny relationship milestones that deserve a little happy dance too. They seem small at the time, but they’re a big deal. In that spirit, here are 16 small moments all long-term relationships eventually hit—so go ahead and get your happy dance on!
1. The first time you leave a toothbrush at his place, or vice versa.
2. The first time your friends pull you aside to say, “We love him!” Not that it gets old the 10th time they insist you need to lock that man down.
3. When you feel so comfortable with him you fall asleep with your mouth open, drooling on his chest. (What? Just us?)
4. The first time he tells you he’s in love with you—because even before he says it, there’s always a moment when you can see it in his eyes.
5. When you come to bed in his boxers and a T-shirt and he says you’ve never looked sexier.
6. When you realize your friends and his friends are now one and the same.
7. The first time you call each other Honey Buns and Sweet Pea in public.
8. When you survive your first airport ordeal—delayed flights, turbulence, and a shrieking baby two seats over—fight free.
9. The first time you take care of each other while you’re sick. There’s nothing quite like dabbing at your guy’s sweaty forehead to bring you closer!
10. When his mother wants you to sit next to her at the Thanksgiving table. You’re in!
11. When you go Facebook-official by posting the first public photo.
12. And when approximately 301 people Like your new photo/relationship status.
13. The first time you crack an inside joke and he totally gets it.
14. When you write down his name as your emergency contact without a second thought.
15. The first time you commute to work together.
16. When you see him with kids and realize he’d be a great dad.